Tuesday, September 25, 2018

What makes me

Hello everyone!

So I am new to blogging and thought I would give this a shot. I needed something to do with my time  since I don’t work and don’t have a whole lot to do. This first post I will share with you a little about me and what I plan to post about daily.
I was born in Cleveland, Ohio and moved to Chicago, Illinois about 9 years later. I consider Chicago my “home” since I lived there for 16 years. I then followed my family to Columbia, South Carolina and have been here since February ‘16.
I have a twin sister, Jamie, and two older brothers, Mike and Casey. I currently live with Jamie and my parents. Me and Jamie are fraternal so we don’t look much alike.
When I was 7 years old, I tested positive for a rare neuromuscular condition called Friedreich’s Ataxia. Friedreich's ataxia is an autosomal recessive inherited disease that causes progressive damage to the nervous system. It manifests in initial symptoms of poor coordination such as gait disturbance; it can also lead to scoliosisheart disease and diabetes, but does not affect cognitive function. The disease is progressive, and ultimately a wheelchair is required for mobility. Its incidence in the general population is roughly 1 in 50,000.
Jamie and Casey had already been diagnosed with this about 6 months prior. Life has been a roller coaster but I’m glad I have my twin sister by my side to support each other when times are tough. We have been through so many obstacles throughout life that makes us strong, independent and smart women today and knows how precious life is.
I’m sure I will be blogging more about FA and my sister and our crazy life experiences. But that is all for now, thanks for stopping by! 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment